Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Skincare Gems

While I think it is perfectly normal to read a million reviews about a red lipstick before purchasing it or compare swatches of blush to find that exact shade I "need", I still know alarmingly little about skincare. It wasn't even that long ago I was convinced that since I have combination skin with oily T-zone I should keep away from anything very moisturizing. Looking back I have no idea why i figured "moisturizing = making skin more oily" but I did. 

I am by no means an expert now and I still mainly pick up skin care bits randomly without doing proper research. In my unguided search for perfect skin and glowing complexion I do sometimes stumble across some real gems. This post is dedicated to a few of my favorites I have been using in the past months.

Peter Thomas Roth products arrived to Sephora a while back but these masks are rather pricey and I did not know which one I should choose. In the end I bought the mini trial pack with all three (you can get it here) of his best selling masks. First up is the Cucumber Gel Mask (Link) that promises to "refresh, cool, moisturize and calm" dry or irritated skin. It smells divine and the gel consistency indeed feels very cooling on the skin. On a normal day I do not feel it makes that much difference but I really enjoy using is after a beach day or just a long day outdoors in the sun. I always wear SPF but skin is still a bit over heated after many hours in the desert sun and this calms it down fast. I also like that you can use this mask on under eye area making it perfect for reducing puffiness and refreshing the delicate skin.

Second little container houses the Pumpkin Enzym Mask (Link). The promise for this mask is pretty bold - "Highly effective exfoliating treatment addresses a dull, aging, and congested complexion in three ways: exfoliates with pumpkin enzyme, peels with alpha hydroxy acid, and polishes with aluminum oxide." I freaking LOVE this mask. From the strong sweet pumpkin pie smell (I imagine this smell not for everyone) to the gentle exfoliation it gives and ending with the visibly smoother skin I have after using this mask. This I shall repurchase in full size.

Third is the Rose Stell Cell Mask (Link). This one I think is a bit 'meh'. In theory it should "helps repair the signs of aging, including the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, dullness and sagging as it strengthens and tones the look of skin". It has a similar gel like cooling texture like the cucumber one and there was nothing I disliked about it but nothing that wow'ed me either. So this is my least favorite of the three.

The lovely PR ladies from TishTash sent me the Izil Golden Glow Face Mask and I am so happy that they did. Its a brand I had never heard about and would probably not have known to try. Its a honey, saffron and argan oil goodness packed into a 100% natural (no paraben, no preservatives etc) thick gooey mask. It smells edible and feels fantastic on the skin. Its a bit sticky to apply and took some getting used to but once you wash it off the skin always feels clean and supple. Love this mask!

Another one that has been on the top of my mask list is the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask (Link). Picked it up on one of those mindless Sephora hauls when I was in NYC last summer. I have never really loved a peel off mask before but this one has won me over. First of all its just plain fun to put this thick completely black mask on and watch it turn into a vinyl like sheet on your face. Even more satisfying is peeling it off and seeing the content of your pores just sticking to it (too much info? sorry. I have nothing in my pores. they are pristine. i promise.). I do not use this often as I feel its pretty strong and properly detoxifying but whenever I do use it my makeup sits on my skin so much better and everything is just cleaner and bump free. I really dont want to run out of this mask until I have a back up ordered.

Last but definitely not least is my Khiels Midnight Recovery Concentrate (Link). I trust you have already tried this and if not then just tell me why? In a month I have been using it this has fast become my favorite skin care step in the evening. Everything about this makes me feel comforted and ready for bed. The beautiful blue bottle, the texture of the concentrate and the gorgeous lavender smell. I literally look forward to put this on my face every evening and I still marvel the results in the morning. For me this stuff gave almost instant results and my skin has never felt softer. I also notice a big change in the texture of my skin. This stuff is da bomb! And by the looks of it I can use it for ages cause you really need only a few drops.

Have you tried any of these products? Did you like them?
Also I am very open for eye cream suggestions so if you are using one you really love please let me know.

Thanks for reading and have a lovely day X

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh loved this little post :) I'm keen to try some of those products now!

    Eye cream wise - I swear by Stri-Vectin SD for the under eye area, it's really good.

    Lis x

    www.elisabethrilatt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the pumpkin mask on my face as I'm typing this haha! It's definitely the gem out of the trio. I honestly have the hardest time with peel off masks because they rip the little peach fuzz from my face and it kills me, so I end up sitting at the sink for 15 minutes trying to take it off gently, it's like a bandaid....#firstworldprobelms haha!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete